Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Hair routine | Straight & sleek

If you know me, you'll know that I only wear my hair straight or with loose curls/waves. But if it's winter, than it's probably pin straight.
Now, my hair is not straight and sleek naturally, in fact I have large curls, a lot of volume and a lot of hair. But it's really frizzy in texture and, having a dry scalp, I also have dry hair. So, yeah... it takes a few hours to tame this unruly head of hair. Here's how I do it.


If my scalp is extra dry or sensitive, I start by applying a few drops of the Shu Uemura Art of Hair Essential Drops Relaxing Blend directly on my scalp, with the help of the pipette embedded in the lid (there's a purifying one for normal to oily scalps, as well). I gently massage it with my fingers, distributing the oil evenly, and let it process for at least 10 minutes.
After that time, I wash my hair with Kérastase Nutritive Bain Oléo-Relax Smoothing Shampoo or Redken Scalp Relief Soothing Balance Shampoo, depending on what needs more TLC that day – the hair or the scalp.
For moisture and nourishment, I apply a mask like Goldwell DualSenses Rich Repair 60 Sec Treatment – when I'm a hurry, usually on week days – or Redken All Soft Heavy Cream – when I'm more relaxed, specially since this one takes longer to process (from 5 to 15 minutes), but it's one of my all time faves. I always comb it through, with a wide tooth comb, before rinsing – makes detangling easier afterwards.
After absorbing the excess moisture with a towel, I spray TIGI Catwalk Sleek Mystique Fast Fixx Style Prep to help with the detangling process. Although, the Tangle Teezer has made my life easier – I'd always cry when I was little, during the long sessions of unknotting my hair...
Anyway, after that, it's time to add some nourishment into the hair, with a few pumps of oil. Right now, I'm back on the Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil, since it's a bit more heavy duty than the others I have laying around. Ideal for this dry, cold weather.
I then spritz some ghd Style Heat Protectant Spray and wrap the hair on one of those super-absorbing turbans (otherwise, I would end up with a soaked top). During this time, I lay out my outfit for the next day or do a mini facial. *Watching videos on YouTube with face mask on*
Now, the boring part, drying the hair. I always hated this part, because it takes so long and, did I mention it's so boring? Anyway, the process is faster and more efficient now that I have a new hairdryer – the air flow is so strong, it actually breaks down the curls into waves. Pretty cool. But I still look like a frizzy lioness after. To turn that into sleek and silky, my weapons of choice are the ghd IV Styler and a rat tail comb.
To finish, I apply a few pumps of the L'Oréal Professionnel tecni.art Hairmix Sublime Shine, from the ends going upwards, to provide some extra shine and reduce static. And... done. Phew!


No comments:

Post a Comment